6.12.12

Some days ago while checking the exercises for my students I stumbled upon one that I saw in a practical game. The player with the White pieces, Julien Saada was my teammate of that time in my French team and the game that he played was decisive for the outcome of the match. If he had a chance to make a draw we would have won the match and qualify for Top 16 (the highest division of that time). Unfortunately, in the time trouble he could not find the correct solution.
Will you?
Saada,J - Alanic,J
National 1 Lilles, 07.05.2005


1.Nxg4! Rxg4 2.Bf3 Rag6


3.Rxg4! Rxg4 4.Kf6 h3 5.Kf5 h2 6.Bxg4+ Kh4 7.Bf3=


1/2
The general rule in endgames like that is to try and get rid of the opponent's pawns. They are the potential queens, thus the light pieces are not that valuable any more with less number of pawns on the board.
Fortresses like a light piece versus a rook (no pawns left!) should be searched for.
If Julien had remembered that the draw would be achievable.

No comments: